Saturday, July 21, 2012

Medihoney and Hibiclens

                     Medihoney and Hibiclens

Hibiclens is an antimicrobial skin/wound cleanser.  It is effective in killing bacteria/infections like Staph, pseudomonas and MRSA.  When used properly Hibiclens continues to keep these bacteria from growing on the skin for 6 hours after using it.  For those that do NOT deal with wounds it is recommended to cleanse with it at full strength, 

HOWEVER, for those with EB I would NOT recommend using it at full strength.  Full strength Hibiclens can cause stinging, burning and intense itching BUT if you dilute it before applying you should not have any of these issues.  Hibiclens is comprised of 4% w/v Clorhexadine Gluconate (chemically unique cationic bisbiguanidewith inactive ingredients of: fragrance, 4% isopropyl alcohol, purified water, Red 40, and other ingredients in a mild sudsing base adjusted to pH 5.0-6.5 for optimal activity and stability as well as compatibility with the normal pH of the skin). Ingredient info provided from Hibiclens.com

Many pharmacies, like Walgreen's and Cvs, offer a generic version of Hibiclens with the same ACTIVE ingredient of Clorhexidine Gluconate HOWEVER, I have found that the generic forms actually cause severe burning and itching, even when diluted, as well as smell very strong and unpleasant.  It is better to spend the few extra dollars for the name brand.  Also, National Rehab, as well as most pharmacies (speak to the pharmacist) sell 64 ounce bottles of Hibiclens for under $20, which is an awesome deal so I strongly recommend purchasing it from them as you get much more for your money than by buying smaller bottles.  I believe they do have smaller sizes as well if you don't want such a large bottle.  There is also a 16 ounce bottle that comes with a pump (which I love and makes dispensing much easier, especially when bathing young kids).  You can get the 16 ounce pump bottle and purchase the larger 64 ounce bottle and use it to refill the pump bottle :)

I have stated above that when using on wounds it is best to dilute Hibiclens.  Let me clarify that by saying you don't want to dilute it so it is not as strong but to add something to it.  I use Hibiclens in two ways.  The first is to add about a teaspoon to a bath puff along with 2 or 3 pumps of Dial Antibacterial Shower Gel (or whatever cleanser you use) and then suds the puff and wash entire body EXCEPT raw wound areas (If using the pump bottle I add 2-3 pumps to the puff and 1-2 pumps for hand washing as well as the same amount of shower gel and follow sudsing directions).  

For wound areas I put about a half teaspoon in the palm of my hand as well as 1-2 pumps of the shower gel and suds together and gently wash/pat the wounds with the mixture, allowing it to sit on the wound for about a minute.  You don't want it to stay on the wound for longer than 5 minutes and really a minute or two is long enough.  One way to do this without having a clock, if you have more than one wound area to cleanse, is to cleanse each area and then once you have covered all areas with the suds mixture rinse it off by starting with the wound that you washed FIRST.  Or u can just do a mass rinse with the shower or a cup of water if bathing smaller children.

It is NOT recommended to add Hibiclens TO the bath water but it is OK to sit in a bath and wash with the hibiclens and have it rinse off the body and into the bath.  By the time it is rinsed off it is broken down and not strong so should not cause irritation.  The reason it is not recommended to add to bath water is that it can cause irritation in genital areas.  Again, if you're bathing with it, it is OK to do so in a bath as once you rinse it off it is no longer as strong and shouldn't cause any irritation issues.  You do not have to rinse off with clean water after bathing with Hibiclens like you do if you take a bleach bath.

Below are two sites that will give you all the info you need on Hibiclens :) 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiclens

 

Medihoney

Medihoney is AWESOME!!  When I began using Medihoney I had 8 non healing wounds.  They were deep and angry and they HURT.  When I went to my first EB Clinic Visit at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Medical Center in Cincinnati, OH I learned about Medihoney.

Medihoney is lab created honey.  This means it was made in a completely sterile environment.  Honey has been used for hundred's of years (probably longer but I didn't do the research) for healing.  It DOES NOT allow bacteria to grow as well as gently dibriding wounds and killing the bad bacteria that is causing infection.  It comes in a few forms and I will detail those further down.  I use Medihoney gel, as that is what insurance's will pay for and it comes in a tube.  I used Medihoney, Mepilex Bandages and Mepitel and within about 3 months 6 of the 8 non healing wounds were healed!  It took a bit of time but it was because they were so deep and raw.  

On my first use of the Medihoney i found out really quick that on a raw, fresh wound it BURNED and would cause the area to be red, inflamed and irritated.  SO, I had to wait a day or two after a new wound or large blister (turned wound) appeared before using the Medihoney.  You can mix a small amount of aquafor with the Medihoney to help keep it from burning and irritating the fresh wounds.  After a day or two it wouldn't be as 'fresh' and I could use the honey straight.  

At first, using the honey was messy, and sticky and itchy and difficult to wipe off if it dripped or soaked through a bandage.  I wondered if there was a way I could keep this from happening and mixing aquafor with it eliminated these issues.

There are still two areas that are issues.  One of which will never heal as it is traumatized daily (no, I can not keep the area from being traumatized).  The other area heals and re blisters on a weekly basis BUT the medihoney keeps each area healthy with no infections.  The reason it will not completely heal is that it has simply been traumatized too much for too long and the skin is just not strong enough.

Another trick I learned to help keep the mess to a minimum was to put the honey or honey/aquafor mixture on the bandage first and then apply the bandage to the wound.  When trying to put the honey on the wounds it would get warm (from my skin temp) and would start to drip everywhere and it was just a mess so when i put it on the bandage it stayed room temperature and did not drip.  

If I am mixing aquafor with the honey then I cleanse my hands and put the desired amount in the palm of my hand and then add a bit of aquafor and mix together with my finger.  Some people will do the mixing in a disposable cup but I have found this is the easiest and most convenient way for me to do it.  Once it is mixed I apply the appropriate amount to the bandage, apply to wound and cover.  Since I began using LESS honey and also adding aquafor for some of the wounds I have not really had any issues with messy, sticky bandages!  It can take a few tries to get it right so you  don't have such a mess but it's definitely worth the effort!!

http://www.dermasciences.com/products/advanced-wound-care/medihoney/inside-the-u-s/ 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=medihoney&qpvt=medihoney&FORM=IGRE

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/derma-sciences-receives-ce-mark-for-medihoney-hcs-20120710-00293

 



2 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer, you're not alone, I too stand by my medihoney wound dressings! They help my wounds heal more effectively, greatly diminishing the scarring aftereffects that I get sometimes from wounds that didn't heal properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Jimmy. I have had an ulcer on my leg for over two years, now. You would think that the medical world would help someone out my this position, but, alas, no! They gixe you and prescriptiona nd send you out of their office as fast as possible. After doing sevseral weeks of research, I found your blog.........A TOTAL BLESSING!!!!! I have mixed A & D ointment plus pain relief with my Manuka honey and keep it in the refrigerator, the instant cold reacts on the nerve, before the pain can react on the nerve, Heat and cold travel faster on the nerve axon faster than pain. I cleanse the wound with Dial glycerin Verry Berry soap mixed with Hibiclens 9yet, again, low pain) and low and behold the site is decreasing in size, no longer as painful (still some pain during the day), but healing none the less. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog!